Sunday, May 23, 2010

The best years of our lives

                                                     Waltham, MA - May 2010

For my niece Maia's Brandeis commencement

we had a family lunch in a nice, spacious Elephant Walk restaurant, wide enough that the whole family sat along one long table. Maia in the middle, and at the far right the grandpa Jerome, his wife and their girlfriend. They were laughing, giggling and having a great time, so I went over to sit with the three of them: 94, 95 and 96.

I was in my 60's so I wanted to know what to expect in the years ahead.

They were emphatic, all three: The absolutely best years of life are the 70's. When you are 70 you are relieved of the hum-drum obligations of adulthood, free to do what you want to do, still full of energy and at the top of your game. The 80's are a bit creaky - many small malfunctions. 

The 90's? Nothing to recommend.

No comments: