Monday, April 13, 2020

State of Georgia Certified Manager

10:30am I had started sometime this morning, only paused to talk to renowned manager Andy Zangwill for moral support, and I’m still at it. I’m staring at a FeeblePoint slide entitled “Safe Harbor Statement”

11:30 As with COVID-19, I fear I’m at the beginning of beginning.

The Great State of Jawja’s self-elected Guvrnr Kemp mandates that I finish something called “SCORM Object” “Introduction to Manager Self-Service “ today (!?), with 80% a passing grade. If I succeed, 9 painful robocall female voice videos away, I should be able to “Add Info to Talent Profile for an Employee.”

12:30pm: I’m learning much about things I did not know existed:
               “All prior transactions which would require a PSF form will now be initiated and completed in Manager Self Service. 
                Many of these transactions will now be found in the My Team tile”.
                WTF is PSF?
2pm: The only rub is – the videos show some Oracle product on something called “OneUSG Connect”.
               But I have no idea what is it that I’m supposed to log into.
2:30pm: Aha. It’s still techworks.gatech.edu – but it does not respond to login attempts.
               Time to take a lunch break.
3:30pm: Did not like FireFox, even after flushing the cache, rebooting etc. But it opened in Opera.
3:45pm: I’m in! Figured out the drop-down “manager self-service.” Finally, the wool has fallen from my eyes - I’m a manager because:
                “My Team” has 14 people (!?) and 4 unfilled positions. Of course!
                No wonder I am such an important manager. I’m a big cog in the Board of Regents mill.
                OK, some of them I remember from 2001. One of my anno 2020 grad students is on "My Team," the second one is not.
                But the two manage themselves. Sensible enough not to entrust themselves to their adviser’s “management”.
           Now I understand why Shaun addresses every seminar announcement to “You and your teams”. She’s so ahead of the curve.

I’m taking a l-o-o-n-g break to gather strength for the next click.

4:20pm: I’m ready for [Assessment]. Ten multiple-choice questions.
                I understand nothing. Humbling to be an undergraduate.
                I click resolutely on, guided –POTUS like- by my infallible undergraduate intuition.
                Wow!
                I aced it in the first try! 90/100!

I am now a fully qualified and empowered Jawja Board of Regents manager. Give way.

 5:30pm:  I am fried for the week. Hope to regain strength by the Friday's Happy Hour.

No comments: